Picture
For today’s blog post, there’s going to be very little from me, and (I hope) much more from you! I’d like to start a discussion with you, as part of ProBlogger’s Group Writing Project. Please have a think and start hitting those comments with your thoughts, and I’ll give my answer in the comments too.

So here’s the topic I’d like to have a discussion with you about: if you could change one thing about your life, what would it be? Something related to your career, your personal life, your own skills and abilities, where you live, anything? If there were no limitations of time, money, effort, of anything, if I could wave that mythical magic wand. What would change?

Over to you.

Comments

Once I hit the right numbers in the lotto, I am going to move Switzerland. Then I will buy a private island and work furiously to find a cure for dying.

12/04/2013 3:56pm

What a thought provoking question! My fingers started to rush into typing and then I stopped. And thought.

I could say I'd like a new house or a new car (oops, wait a minute, I have one of those!), more clothes, more money. Or I might even get really deep and say greater happiness, better relationships or more clients. But in the end, I'd say Nothing!

When I look at my life, I understand I have a great family, a growing business and no major illnesses. So what else is there that I need? Nothing.

So I go back to the keyboard and finally write: I wouldn't change anything..I am where I am supposed to be.

Lynn Spiro
www.lynnspiro.com

13/04/2013 6:48pm

I like your conclusion, Lynn. And that is food for thought.

Your wife!
12/04/2013 3:58pm

I'll be mostly leaving you and running off with Angie ;)

12/04/2013 4:09pm

Lynn I really like your answer!! :)

The only thing I would change is to be more confident in my abilities and to work much harder.

I would not have that Audi R8, new gated house and fantastic holidays now. I want to earn them through working hard and to inspire people it can be done from having nothing.

12/04/2013 4:15pm

What a gerat hypothetical question...Hmmm - I guess I'd like a little more balance and harmony in my work/home life.

Your wife....again!
12/04/2013 4:21pm

Okay, seriously, I wouldn't change a thing about our life together, it's perfect, except, we seem to missing a puppy! I think that would complete our happy home, and, before you say anything, I've spoken to the cat's about it and they think it's a great idea!

12/04/2013 4:30pm

Wow great response so far!

Angie - great idea, and I apologise for my wife trying to tag along and steal your lotto money!

Lynn - great answer, it's great to hear that you're happy with what you have and the path life's taken to get you there. Fantastic!

Gabriel - knowing you as I do, I can't imagine you working harder and you should be ultra-confident in your abilities! But that's a great ambition and I know that you will achieve anything you want to with your attitude, abilities and work ethic.

Carlana - I'm assuming you would like more balance in the direction of your home life?! Now I don't have that magic wand but perhaps a change could be made by you thinking about the one small step that could start to improve the situation? For example, setting aside some time every day or every week just for you and sticking to it, no matter what comes up workwise? I'd love to hear what you think!

My wife, I wouldn't change anything about our life together either, not even your cheekiness or propositioning people who have hypothetically won pretend lotto money! So I think we'd best leave the puppy for now, let's not rock the boat! :-)

For me, I think I'd love to be able to wave that wand and be able to speak a foreign language (or languages) fluently. I learnt French and German at school and was pretty good but they just drop out of your head if you don't use them, don't they? That's a good excuse for a holiday abroad, if ever I heard one!

12/04/2013 8:14pm

If there was one thing I could change about my life, it would be to know what I know now - 40 years sooner.

This way I would have met my partner in life 20 years quicker and had much more fun getting to the age we're at now. :)

Otherwise than that - I wouldn't change a thing!

13/04/2013 10:22am

Hi Bonnie, great comment! I know what you mean, it'd be great if we got to certain key realisations in our lives quicker, wouldn't it? But I suppose if we got there more quickly, we wouldn't have learnt everything we needed to on the way. After all, it's the tortoise that beats the hare! :-)

LisaSib
13/04/2013 12:39pm

Worry less and be bolder. I would also like to live in Switzerland....daily walks in the alps.....bliss!

Lex
13/04/2013 1:31pm

Is this a change in your own person, or a change in the world?

If it was the world, I'd like to change the ruling elite into a body of people who put other people first. This would lead to the major profit being put into renewable energy sources, energy efficient housing, appliances, vehicles. Funding for science and research into diseases. Cleaning up our air and water. Taking harmful chemicals out of our environment and food. Respecting and co existing within the environment. Teaching others that it helps everyone to consider the well being of all.

For myself.... some steps to get to that. Whether it be the gift of the gab and knowing exactly what to say and to whom, or coming into a lot of money (billions?) to buy land and begin the process on a community level.

13/04/2013 5:33pm

Hi Lisa, great ambition - plenty of chocolate to walk off in the Alps too! Worry less, hmm that's an elusive one. Easy to say, hard to do! Food for thought...

Hi Lex, what self-less thoughts. Fantastic ideas and here's hoping those billions fall into your lap - I feel they'd be safe with you!

Thanks both for your contributions!

14/04/2013 12:14pm

I would like more to do in the evenings. I live in England and it is usually cold and raining. I'm usually in my house on my own most evenings as my wife works then. I usually end up working on my websites as there is very little else to do. I go to the gym and play a musical instrument, but it's not enough sometimes.

14/04/2013 5:11pm

Hi Jon, sounds like your interests are mostly solitary and finding one that involves a bit more socialising might help them feel closer to "enough". You mention you go to the gym - I don't know where in England you live but maybe you saw my blog about Essex Boot Camp: http://www.millerandmillerconsulting.co.uk/1/post/2013/04/have-you-stepped-out-of-your-comfort-zone.html - I love going in part because of the socialising aspect. Perhaps worth looking into what's available in your area? Or join a band with that musical instrument of yours? Or you could get involved in the Befriending service for Age UK as described in another of my previous blogs: http://www.millerandmillerconsulting.co.uk/1/post/2013/04/60-minutes-to-make-a-difference.html It's an hour out of the house, having a chinwag with someone to whom it will make a big difference. Worth a look? I hope that you find something that suits you - please let me know your thoughts and how you get on. Kat

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.